Tuesday, May 14, 2013

WA Road Trip 2013 Day 1

Almost a month! Long intervals between posts are a bad habit of mine I'd love to break but school and life is making it especially hard. Got a rare day off to myself today and I haven't left my bed for more than an hour (to shower + to cook lunch). My major group project due on Wednesday is done (thanks to great group mates! Looking at cha Rach) and I'm just left with a presentation for said project and a promotional video to edit before my semester is over (!!!!!?!??!?!) and study break commences! Time kinda flies huh? 

Anyway back to the road trip, I initially planned for each day to have it's own post but Yallingup/Canal Rocks really deserves one of its own. It was definitely the highlight of my day and it truly opened my eyes up to how beautiful the world/Australia is after such a bad day (see previous post). Truly nothing beats witnessing nature's wonders up close, there are never enough words (or images) to perfectly describe the colours, the sounds, the wind, the sand, the atmosphere into words. 



Introduced E to the most amazing chocolate milk ever! I know chocolate mint milk sounds weird but it is surprisingly really really good.



Due to the delay in the morning, our schedule tightened up and we found ourselves rushing from one place to another just so we could still manage to visit the places before nightfall. Canal Rocks was the last on our agenda for the day and we had about an hour or two before the sun would set. We had to race down the highways and when we finally turned into the road leading up to the rocks, we were greeted by this amazing view.



I remember us gasping out loud and whipping our phones out for pictures (typical Singaporean).





I'd like to think that everything happens for a reason and that some good did come out of the delay after all. I can't imagine being at Canal Rocks at any time apart from sunset. Watching the skies and rocks get painted all shades of red was something I'd never forget for a long time.






















To any friends taking a trip to Western Australia anytime soon, I'd highly recommend taking a trip down here or even staying at the Canal Rocks chalets nearby. I can't imagine how surreal it'd be to start and end your day in the presence of such wonders daily. 





Reluctantly leaving.. I can't wait to be back again someday!


Drove through darkness to Margaret River where we stayed for a night! A really small and quaint town known for its vineyards, we arrived pretty late for Australia standards (8pm) and didn't have much choices in terms of food. We were already exhausted from the ridiculously long day and didn't want to have to scour around the quiet town for food so we settled for the nearest pub with wifi! 




Ending our day with good food and cheap beer! That's the end of Day 1 of our WA Road Trip. I believe there still are 3 more days to go? Sorry for the picture spam, it's just so hard to choose and pick what to leave out because everything looks so pretty!


& a special shoutout to my Road Trip partner for being everything I am not - adventurous, spontaneous and patient. I think we help each other out in the parts we lack and bring out the best in each other. I've heard many friends telling me that it takes quite a bit of guts to just head out on a pretty extensive road trip like this without any prior experience. Just a sketchy plan, a map and an open mind and heart. It's not our first adventure and it definitely isn't going to be our last. Here's to many more memories and a belated happy 25/21 months


No comments:

Post a Comment